New website dedicated to AJW Motorbikes
Our AJW motorcycle collection contains some of our rarest exhibits. There are only a handful of these bikes on display across the world.
AJW was started in 1926 by Albert John (Jack) Wheaton, the son of a wealthy Exeter printer and book publisher. Wheaton started out producing thundering V-twins to rival the Brough Superior marque. By the early 1930s the firm had turned to sports singles, powered by Rudge Python and latterly J A Prestwich (JAP) engines. These were supplemented by utility Villers lightweights. After WWII a new AJW company, now owned by a demobilised RAF officer called Jack Ball, again turned to JAP before frustrations with engine supply caused the firm to fit imported Italian lightweight power units.
The museum features six of the bikes that date from 1928 to 1934.
Dennis Frost, ex-journalist of The Classic MotorCycle magazine, has been researching the company and has now compiled a new website. Dedicated to his late friend Roy Wheaton, who was a distant relative of AJW’s founder, the site contains many facts, history and information about the models that were created. Over a period of 15 years, Roy Wheaton restored nine AJWs and became a leading authority on these fine motorcycles.