The world's only surviving Tri-van
This is the only surviving example of a 1949 Tri-Van built by Turners of Wolverhampton. It cost £150, was powered by a 168cc two-stroke engine, had a 3-speed gear box and was aimed at small business owners. It was sold under the brand name “Light Delivery Vehicles” and sought to combine the storage capacity of a small van with the low running costs of a motorcycle for small deliveries and collections.
The Tri-Van was part of a trio of vehicles, which also included a ‘By-van’ and a Rixi model, with room for two passengers. Together they completed a 2000 mile run from Land’s End to John O’Groats in 1950 but, as far as we know, very few were ever sold.
The Lakeland Motor Museum bought this particular vehicle at auction and brought it back to The Lake District where it was re-built in Greenodd and re-painted in Ambleside. The van is in full working order and could, potentially, be taken out on a public road but it remains in our collection as a slice of our history and heritage to be valued and enjoyed in the present and preserved for future generations.
👁️ Where to find this car in the museum
Our Tri-Van is located at the front of our ground floor exhibition hall.
|Date of manufacture||1949|
|Powertrain||168cc two-stroke engine|
|Manufacturer||Turners of Wolverhampton / Light Delivery Vehicles Ltd.|
Although compact and nimble on the road, the Tri-Van has a large container on the back with a capacity of 23 cubic feet, and up to 3cwt.
Hence the marketing slogan of the vehicle, "it carries so much for so little".